We also asked Zeynep Şener, Corporate Communications Director of Cem Botanik, whose balcony decoration we previously examined, what to do for balcony gardening in the outdoor savior of the summer months.
What needs to be done to give the balcony a garden effect?
- In order to create a green relaxation area on your balcony and give it a garden feel, I recommend that you first decide on a concept. For example, do you dream of an exotic corner, a rural garden or a small orchard? Once you’ve decided, you can put together the right accessories for your room. Of course, it is also important to consider the load-bearing capacity of your balcony and choose your flower pots from lightweight materials accordingly. Flower pots made of plastic and fiberglass are suitable for the balcony. But if your balcony is windy, don’t forget to repair it.
- Even if your balcony is small, with a few tips you can make the most of every part of it. Don’t just think of the balcony as a floor! Walls, balcony railings and even the ceiling are waiting for your use. Vertical planting will be useful in this sense. You can hang many plants by adding shelves, cages and hooks to the walls. While you can hang the plants from the hooks in the ceiling, you can create your own isolated space by wrapping plants like ivy and vines around the wires that you cover on the railing.
- The color effect is the most important element that increases the attractiveness of your balcony. Therefore, you can not only choose colorful plants for your balcony, but also carry the summer energy outside with accessories. Small colorful lanterns, weather vanes, wrought iron candle holders, colorful pillows, tablecloths and stones painted with different patterns also bring the feeling of a garden to your balcony. You can even create a dreamlike atmosphere with lighting above the hanging plants.
- If you have space on your balcony, a table and chair set or a coffee table and armchairs where you can have pleasant meals with your loved ones; If you have limited space, you can also use small colorful poufs.
- Plants on the balcony need more water than plants that live in the ground. Sometimes they even ask for water in the morning and evening. Instead of watering a large number of plants with backwater, you can find a practical solution to the problem with a garden hose that you can attach to the kitchen sink and extend to the balcony.
- The combinations you can make with plant species of different colors will add enthusiasm and shine to your balcony. Therefore, do not hesitate to use compatible species in the same pot! + If your balcony faces a noisy street, water fountains and wind chimes reduce noise and isolate you from the outside world.
- If you want to create a feeling of depth on your balcony, you can hang mirrors of different sizes on the walls.
WHICH FLOWERS ON THE BALCONY?
- With their many color variations and unique scent, geraniums are a must for the balcony. Since it is a very long-lived and fast-growing plant, it is also easy to care for. You can hang it on the balcony railing.
- The leaves of the begonias are very decorative and delight us with their flowers. They add wonderful energy to balconies all summer long. It is particularly suitable for shady and north-facing balconies.
- Petunias hanging from pots not only fill balconies with their voluminous appearance, but also bring summer joy into open spaces with their colorful appearance.
- Hydrangeas, which bring the country life we dream of to the balcony with their clusters of flowers, add beauty to the spring and summer seasons.
- Although the gardenia, which fascinates with its scent, is considered a garden flower, it is also suitable for growing in pots on the balcony.
- Primroses in different colors are also indispensable for the spring and summer months.
- If your balcony is very sunny, different types of cacti and succulents will add liveliness to the room.
CARE OF SEASONAL FLOWERS
The most important factors when choosing flowers for the balcony and caring for them are: how much sun it gets, what the temperature is and what wind it is exposed to. Depending on these factors, you should also care for the plants you choose accordingly. Depending on the location of the balcony, the water requirement must also be taken into account. If you don’t have the option to connect directly to the water source with a hose, you can make your job easier by choosing plants like cacti and succulents.
If you live in a cold place in winter, you can put cold-resistant plants on your balcony. Or, by choosing plants to bring indoors during the winter, you can avoid the expense of purchasing new plants each spring. Make sure to regularly collect the yellowed and wilted flowers of the plants in pots and keep the soil clean. To support the development of the plants, you can apply liquid fertilizer every 15-20 days. Place the pots in a slightly shaded area so that they do not burn or burn during the hours when the sun shines on the balcony. You can occasionally mist the plant leaves with water from a spray bottle to help them relax.
Add style to small balcony gardens in 5 steps